Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

Never use lighter fluid!

Last post 03-23-2010, 9:13 PM by corndog. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-07-2006, 7:49 PM 4

Never use lighter fluid!

The weather was great this past weekend, hit 80, and of course I had to go get some rib-eye steaks to throw on the grill. I was getting ready to start the coals going when I smelled ‘it’ coming from a neighbor getting ready to grill….lighter fluid!

Never ever use lighter fluid or the bags of pre-soaked charcoal to start your fire. I must admit, I too was one of these people until I ‘saw the light’ and tasted the difference.

So how are you supposed to start your fire?  Use a Charcoal Chimney.

It only takes a newspaper sheet to light, takes about the same amount of time to heat, and does not give the chemical flavor that is too often associated with lighter fluid.  You can pick one of these up at most hardware stores, like Lowes Home Improvement, Home Depot, Ace, etc for around $10.

While I’m at it, if you’re cooking steak or something that requires high heat, use a lump style charcoal instead of your ordinary charcoal (Kingsford). It burns quicker, but gives off a much higher heat…perfect for searing steaks!  I use the Cowboy Lump Charcoal brand from Lowes and am quite happy with it.

Try the Charcoal Chimney and I promise you too will be converted!

- Donald

•  01-19-2007, 12:50 PM 48 in reply to 4

Re: Never use lighter fluid!

I second the chimney!!!   I haven't used lighter fluid in over 3-4 years now....I usually use the burner from my grill to light the chimney.  It lights and gets going in about 4 min!!!!  That's just great for a quick meal..
  •  03-23-2010, 6:07 PM 300 in reply to 4

Do you still think its bad to use lighter fluid if your smoking indirectly? Also I generally use a chimney, put the coals in it. Spray a little fluid to light. Once is lit, I dont use it again. I just add wood and coal for the next 10 hours or so. Thoughts?

Patrick

•  03-23-2010, 9:11 PM 301 in reply to 300

If it's a little bit, I guess that's alright, but like I said, you can use some news paper crumbled up and it should light pretty good...about 2-3 pieces wadded up usually does the trick.
  •  03-23-2010, 9:13 PM 302 in reply to 301

Go ahead and invest in the Weber brand chimney...well worth the money.  Also, for indirect, it doesn't make a difference, you are just lighting the charcoal.  It's where you place the lit coals determines the heat placement.
View as RSS news feed in XML