Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

NCBS BBQ Boot Camp

Last post 01-15-2013, 1:31 PM by Another_Q_Lover. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-22-2009, 5:53 AM 222

NCBS BBQ Boot Camp

The North Carolina Barbecue Society will be hosting the first BBQ Boot Camp for Teens & Adults on May 22-24 at the YMCA Camp in Hanes-Stokes County, NC. From Friday night through Sunday morning campers will participate in hands-on BBQ cooking classes with four of the country’s top pit masters. For more information go to http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/ and click on the Upcoming Classes link or call 336 765-NCBS (6227).

This will be a great opportunity for adults and boys ages 15 to 18 to get first hand experience cooking BBQ in the tried, true and, of course, best manner: over hard wood coals. Campers will learn the basics of cooking whole hogs, ribs, chicken, pork shoulders and butts from the ground up. One of the outcomes of this camp will be to pass on this old North Carolina tradition of cooking to a younger generation (for a nominal $50.00 fee for the boys) in the hopes of insuring the continued practice and rewarding them with a great outdoor experience and class diploma.
  •  04-22-2009, 7:37 AM 223 in reply to 222

Re: NCBS BBQ Boot Camp

Thanks for letting us know about this. Sounds like a great class and I hope you get a great turn out. 
  •  03-23-2010, 5:58 PM 299 in reply to 222

Where is Hanes-Stokes County?

•  03-28-2010, 11:53 AM 310 in reply to 299

I believe it's the Winston-Salem area.
  •  01-15-2013, 5:41 AM 487 in reply to 222

BillP:
    The North Carolina Barbecue Society will be hosting the first BBQ Boot Camp for Teens & Adults on May 22-24 at the YMCA Camp in Hanes-Stokes County, NC. From Friday night through Sunday morning campers will participate in hands-on BBQ cooking classes with four of the country’s top pit masters. For more information go to http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/ and click on the Upcoming Classes link or call 336 765-NCBS (6227). This will be a great opportunity for adults and boys ages 15 to 18 to get first hand experience cooking oven cleaning gold coast in the tried, true and, of course, best manner: over hard wood coals. Campers will learn the basics of cooking whole hogs, ribs, chicken, pork shoulders and butts from the ground up. One of the outcomes of this camp will be to pass on this old North Carolina tradition of cooking to a younger generation (for a nominal $50.00 fee for the boys) in the hopes of insuring the continued practice and rewarding them with a great outdoor experience and class diploma.

Hello I am new to this forum and I love going to camps. It is an old thread so please tell when you will arrange this camp again
  •  01-15-2013, 1:31 PM 488 in reply to 487

Hey matusgreats,

Just wanted to let you know that the "camp" you are referencing is actually held by the North Carolina Barbecue Society (NCBS) and NOT by this forum or its founders.

If you go to the NCBS website ( http://ncbbqsociety.com/ )you will see that they are offering three camps again this year: one in May in Clemmons (near Winston-Salem), one in July in Sugar Mountain (near Boone - I'll be attending this class), and one in September in Castle Hayne (near Wilmington).

At the camp, they teach you how to smoke several different types of meat, cook other items, and make still more food items. Additionally, you will become a Certified Barbecue Judge with the NCBS at the conclusion of the 1.5 day training. This makes you eligible to judge NCBS competitions (currently only one - in Cary in August; however, Jim Early told me that he is hoping to get a couple other comps sanctioned this year.

Good luck and I hope to see you at a NCBS competition or in the class in July!!! I figured that July in the mountains would be better than just about anywhere else!!!!!
    Tom (aka "Another_Q_Lover" & "BBQ.TOM")
    CMJ w/ KCBS
    CBJ w/ MBN, NCPC, NCBS, & NCBBQA
    OBJ w/ BBQ Critic.com
    CTC w/ KCBS
    Pitmaster and Chef - 4 Lil' Pigs Competition Barbecue Team
    Author of "A 'Q' Review"
View as RSS news feed in XML