Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

Boone area Q-joints

Last post 03-22-2012, 3:25 PM by Another_Q_Lover. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-22-2012, 3:25 PM 404

Boone area Q-joints

It's been too long since I was able to post reviews on this site, but I figured I'd best post a couple in case someone else out there is interested:

Bandana's BBQ & Grill - 1475 Highway 105, Boone, NC  28607  -  (828)265-2728

Chopped pork had inconsistent consistancy - some very large chunks and some finely chopped.  Kinda dry and chewy.  No sauce - kinda smoky flavor.  Cole slaw was finely chopped with lots of dressing, but flavor is very cabbagy - bitter.  BBQ-Baked beans were good with lots of flavor.  Fries were just okay.  Texas toast was good.  $7.09  plus T&T&T.

Rated a 2.5 on my 1.0 (bad) to 5.0 (best) scale.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Boone Docks BBQ - 1760 Blowing Rock Road, Boone, NC 28607 - (828)264.6464

Dry and chewy with a fairly good smoke flavor, dip spooned over pile was okay if a bit sweet. "Eastern" sauce on table was NOT good.  Beans were crunchy and runny with lots of bacon but not great flavor. Cole-slaw was way to chunky with good flavor. Puppies were crunchy outside but mealy inside without much flavor. Sweet potato fries were GREAT! (best).  Smoked chicken was very dry.  $8.50 &T&T&T.

Rated a 2.5 on my 1.0 (bad) to 5.0 (best) scale.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sledgehammer Charlie's Smokehouse & Grill - 8146 Valley Boulevard, Blowing Rock, NC 28605 - (828)295.9092

Quite moist and tender, these large chunks of pulled pork had lots of great smoke flavor.  Dip was served on the side and was a bit sweet, but worked well on the pork.  Cole-slaw was just shredded cabbage with vinegar and celery seed dressing - NOT good!!!  Fries were great! Seasoned GOOD!  Skewered veggies were raw with char marks.  (Lunch portion = $7.95 & Sauce(.35) & tea (2.05)&Tax &Tip =$12.65)

Rated a 4.3 on my 1.0 (bad) to 5.0 (best) scale.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Woodlands Barbecue & Pickin' Parlor - 321 Bypass, Blowing Rock, NC  28605 - (828)295-3651

Pretty good Q, but no flavor except smoke.  Pretty tender and moist, and plenty of it.  Tried two different sauces and the "hot vinegar" was really good!  Don't really like putting sauce on my Q, but it made it better.  Beans were okay.  Cole-slaw was really good!  Extremely finely chopped with lots of good dressing.  Corn-on-the-cob was small, but good - not over cooked.  Good sweet tea!  After the App.State win over Furman.  $7.75 plus T&T&T.

Rated a 3.0 on my 1.0 (bad) to 5.0 (best) scale.

While the chopped/pulled pork wasn't all that at Woodlands, it is a GREAT place to hit on the weekend evenings for the live entertainment and especially after a App State game!!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Pappy's Barbeque - 4235 NC Highway 105 S, Banner Elk, NC 28604  (828)898-6777

VERY DRY! Extremely Chewy!  Smoky flavor only!  Served with steak fries, Cole slaw in a VERY VERY small cup & Texas toast.  Not worth returning!

Rated a 1.0 on my 1.0 (bad) to 5.0 (best) scale.

Tom (aka "Another_Q_Lover" & "BBQ.TOM")
    CMJ w/ KCBS
    CBJ w/ MBN, NCPC, NCBS, & NCBBQA
    OBJ w/ BBQ Critic.com
    CTC w/ KCBS
    Pitmaster and Chef - 4 Lil' Pigs Competition Barbecue Team
    Author of "A 'Q' Review"
View as RSS news feed in XML