Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

Sugar Shack in Roxboro

Last post 08-05-2010, 3:23 PM by Another_Q_Lover. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-05-2010, 3:23 PM 356

Sugar Shack in Roxboro

Sugar Shack is a VERY small establishment just off of Hwy 501 in Roxboro, NC.  They have a BBQ sandwich on the menu, but also have a BBQ plate that they don't advertise.  I got the plate and overall it was a very good meal for only $5.66 including tea and tax.  There wasn't much chopped pork on the plate (about the amount you would get on a sandwich), but the pile of French fries more than made up for the small portion of meat.  The pork appeared dry, and was in fact a bit dry, but more than that - it was quite chewy.  The flavor was really good - a good amount of smoke (almost too much) and just a hint of vinegar with a slightly spicy after-burn in my mouth.  REALLY GOOD flavor, but the pork appeared to have been cooked high and fast instead of low and slow.

The French fries were really good (hand-cut with skins on) and were piled high.  The Cole slaw was too chunky, but had lots of really good creamy dressing - great taste.  The plate also came with a slice of garlic bread that was WONDERFUL!  Lightly toasted with excellent flavor!  The sweet tea was great also!  A marvelous meal for the price - if only the pork had been more tender!

I rated this barbecue a solid 3.5 on my 1.0 (worst) to 5.0 (best) scale (easily would have been a 4.0 if more tender).

Rob & Larry's Sugar Shack
    207 Oak Street
    Roxboro, NC  27573
    (336) 597-3334

Tom (aka "Another_Q_Lover" & "BBQ.TOM")
    CMJ w/ KCBS
    CBJ w/ MBN, NCPC, NCBS, & NCBBQA
    OBJ w/ BBQ Critic.com
    CTC w/ KCBS
    Pitmaster and Chef - 4 Lil' Pigs Competition Barbecue Team
    Author of "A 'Q' Review"
View as RSS news feed in XML