Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

Comeptition Listing

Last post 02-28-2010, 8:00 AM by donald. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-01-2008, 10:33 AM 163

Comeptition Listing

Hey, is there anyone, or any way that this site could have a link or section for upcoming competions?  Either sponsored by the NC Pork Council or just some small comps in conjunction with some of the small town festivals and fairs?  I know I am always on the lookout for something close, and we are entered in the Wilson Whirleygig Festival cookoff in Nov, but a central page would be nice.  Thanks,
  •  10-01-2008, 7:03 PM 164 in reply to 163

Re: Comeptition Listing

Hi corndog,

I update the site with the events I get from the NC Pork Council usually twice a year - early March and June. Here's where they are listed - http://www.ncbbq.com/Modules/Events/search.aspx. Right now I don't have any upcoming events so none are listed. If you know of one I don't have listed you can add it here - http://www.ncbbq.com/Modules/Submit/Events/submitevent.aspx.

I've been pretty busy with the PitMasters Choice Sauce Awards happening in a couple weeks, so should be freed up shortly to get back to the site. Let me know how the Whirlygig festival goes..take some pictures and we'll post them!

- Donald

•  10-29-2008, 11:39 PM 168 in reply to 164

Thanks Donald.  As it looks now, we (Partners In Swine BBQ) will be competing in the Whirlygig Festival in Wilson NC this weekend.  We came in dead last last year, so we have to do better.  Turns out cooking for judges is alot different and harder than cooking for hungry clients!!  We also had a call the other day from Ray Price Harley Davidison in Raleigh about entering their cookoff, but we already had a catering event that day.  Sure would have liked to have tried that one!!! But that's the way the pig cooks, huh?  Anyway, wish us luck, and if you're in the area this weekend, come on by and say HOWDY!!
  •  10-30-2008, 6:06 PM 170 in reply to 168

Looks like it will be great weather...other than the cold.  But hey, that's what grills are for! And look at the bright side, you can't do any worse than last year :)  Ahh, you learned some great tricks last year I'm sure. Good luck and I sure wish I could be there, but other engagements. Take some pictures and we'll post them!

- Donald

•  10-31-2008, 11:23 AM 171 in reply to 170

Gotcha on the pics...Yea, it's gonna be a chilly one...we will be a little better prepared this year than last...Thanks for the words of encouragement...
  •  11-03-2008, 10:57 AM 172 in reply to 171

Well, we got our results back on Sat and we came in 10th out of 12 teams...Concidering this is our first comp since this same comp last year, I think we did pretty well. Our oveall scores were up about 180ish points from last year.  The judges had better stuff to say and they did say we were on the right path. The scores were pretty tight...100 or so points from 10-1st...so the devil is in the details.  They told us where we were weak on some stuff, but we are waiting the points breakout to see our true strenghts/weaknesses. Our goal for next year is to enter at least two more before this one again just to keep us in practice and to hone our skills.  So, if anyone knows of any small town comps that are coming up not listed here, please keep everyone posted.  Later,
  •  11-09-2008, 6:06 PM 174 in reply to 172

corndog,

Well you've improved! I think that's about it for this year's events but I'll keep my ears peeled in case one comes up and let you know. When I was doing competitions, I found I got much better, usefull, feedback from the smaller events that you could then use to move on. Here's to next yearWink [;)]

Donald

•  11-14-2008, 8:47 AM 186 in reply to 174

I would love to promote only NC barbecue but the reality is.....other states and towns have done a much better promoting their craft than North Carolina.  SO, having said that.....the KCBS has done a great job of promoting their organization and you should check out their site for more profesional contests.  Here is their link if you re not already familiar with it....

http://www.kcbs.us/

•  11-14-2008, 6:47 PM 188 in reply to 186

Pickin', I know what you mean, and yea, the kcbs is a great org and I kinda like that style also. But it sure would be great to be good at this whole hog thing....But we are new in it and we are making connections about finding other contests and such. 
  •  02-26-2010, 8:35 AM 291 in reply to 188

I guess a reply 1 1/2 years later may still be valid....LOLOLOL.  Yes, KCBS does not recognize the art of whole hog cooking but MBN (Memphis Barbecue Network) does.  Hog is my favorite thing to cook and we typically do pretty well at it in competition.
  •  02-27-2010, 9:38 PM 292 in reply to 163

check out www.blackcreekbluejeansandbbq.com
    2nd annual BBQ Festival in Hartsville, SC, just west of I-95 Florence about 28 miles.

Also, scbarbeque.com events and festivals being judged by the South Carolina Barbeque Association
  •  02-28-2010, 8:00 AM 293 in reply to 292

Thanks. Just posted it on the Events page.
View as RSS news feed in XML